The Beauty Manifesto
I believe that rediscovering your own beauty can be life-changing. That may sound overly dramatic, but I honestly believe it! I know when I became a mother, I lost myself in trying to figure out who I had to be now that I was a mom. It took a photography session like this for me to finally realize that I was still a WOMAN and wasn’t just the role of “mother”. For me, beauty isn’t how you’re seen by others; it’s a way of seeing yourself.
You deserve to look and feel like the gorgeous woman that you are. You work hard, you take good care of those around you and now it’s time to do something for yourself. if you choose to use it as a gift-giving opportunity, that’s just a bonus.
I help women to rediscover the self confidence that comes from seeing how drop dead gorgeous you truly are so you can finally see it and accept it. Capturing that feeling for you to savor over the years is just the icing on the cake.
I listen to how you want to feel and not just how you want to look. Because I don’t have clients...I have girlfriends. Really, really gorgeous girlfriends. =)
You are probably going through a life change of some sort. Maybe you’re becoming a mother for the first time or maybe it’s the fourth time. Maybe you’re getting married or maybe you just got divorced. Maybe you’re going back to school or maybe all of your kids are finally IN school! Maybe you’re celebrating weight loss or maybe you’re realizing that you’re not as young as you used to be. Maybe your husband is deployed. Maybe YOU'RE going to be deployed! In any case, you’ve gotten so wrapped up in LIFE that you’ve forgotten that you’re so amazingly beautiful and you’d like to see that in yourself again.
You try to take good care of yourself, but you usually end up spending most of your time and energy taking care of those around you. Kids need a lot of time and energy, don’t they? But then, so do husbands and bosses. It’s time to have a day that’s ONLY for you.
A photography session is a little (or a lot!) outside of your usual comfort zone, but you are not afraid to step outside of yourself to try something new from time to time. All of the best things come from just outside of your comfort zone. That’s where the magic happens!
You love to do something really nice for yourself, especially if your significant other HAPPENS to think that it’s really something nice that you’re doing for THEM. =) That’s okay! We don’t mind if they think it’s really all about them!!
You know you could use some help in creating the perfect gift for yourself (oh okay, and MAYBE for your significant other) and that’s where I come in! I will show you how I see you. How your significant other sees you. How your kids see you. How your best friend sees you. We see the real you, without that self-critical filter that we all have when we look at ourselves. I’ll show you the beauty in you that you refuse to allow yourself to see. Because it’s there! You just need a little help in finally seeing it for yourself.
Okay, so this is where you SHOULD see a really nice, professional headshot of me in the style of how I photograph my clients. Buuuuuut, I don't have one. I know, I'm a slacker. I'm going to blame it on being SO busy photographing other beautiful women that I haven't gotten around to going through the same pampering process myself! Really soon, I promise! But what's that saying about the shoemaker's kids having no shoes? Yeah, let's go with that. So until the nice, professional images, you get this hodge-podge:
And because I love lists, how about a list of things you may not know about me:
- My husband and I had a Doctor Who wedding, which was featured by one of my favorite wedding blogs of all time, RockNRoll Bride! Our family LOVES Doctor Who and since our wedding officially joined our blended family, we wanted something that featured what makes our family so damn amazing! If you need a wedding photographer, I HIGHLY recommend ours, Susan Fowler of Fowler Studios! She and her team are just the best.
- I never know what to say about how many kids I have. I have an 11-year-old daughter, an 11-year-old stepson and a 2-year-old son. But I had a son adopted at 5-years-old who unexpectedly passed away in his sleep at 6.5-years-old. And we had a son who was stillborn at 20 weeks and a daughter who was also stillborn at 20 weeks (separate pregnancies). So depending on how deep I want to get into it when asked, I have 3-6 kids.
- I'm one of the clumsiest people that you'll ever meet. My obsession with flats is born of a strong survival instinct, though I LOVE heels. I live vicariously through my clients and now buy heels for the studio instead of my feet.
- I love all things vanilla-scented. All of my perfumes have strong vanilla notes. I only buy candles that have at least hints of vanilla (like anything baking-related!), much to my husband's dismay. My favorite soda is even Vanilla Coke!
- My favorite books, movies and TV shows are sci-fi and/or fantasy. I can't say no to a good dystopian fantasy and the (new-ish) Battlestar Galactica is one of the best TV shows ever made. I don't play very many video games, but my favorites are fantasy-based, like Dragon Age (all time fave!) and Skyrim.
- And because no photographer "about" page would be complete without it, I'm a Nikon and a Mac (actually, all things Apple) girl. =)